Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

Who You Gonna Call? Plateau Busters!

It has been a few weeks and I am sure you are wondering if my KISS (Keep It Simple Stupid) plan for busting through my plateau worked. In the words of Napoleon Dynamite, “Heck Yeah!”.... I lost 3.6 pounds! Yes! I am more excited than the time I found a huge bag of Twizzlers hiding in the bottom of my purse. Factoring in this weight loss, I have now lost around 52 pounds!

Losing this weight has been great, but I have recently run into a little problem called THE HOLIDAYS. Trying to lose weight during THE HOLIDAYS is like trying to tie your shoes with mittens on. You may be able to do it but only with great effort, concentration & a good dose of frustration. I don’t know why family + great food = dimpled thighs, and in my case you can add in a bulging belly and jello neck. Don’t get me wrong, I love the spirit of THE HOLIDAYS but hate the 10 pounds I usually gain. When Thanksgiving came around this year I decided this was the year I would do things a little differently. There was NO WAY I was gaining 10 pounds. The only thing worse than losing weight is losing the same pounds all over again and there was NO WAY I was going to lose any of those 50 pounds all over again!


 I knew I needed a game plan and this is what I did:

1) Ate what I wanted for my Thanksgiving meal. Right about now I know you are wondering how in the world this factors into a weight loss plan for THE HOLIDAYS. But notice I said “meal”, as in one! Every other Thanksgiving “meal” has actually lasted 3-5 days. This time I ate what I wanted (pie, cupcakes, turkey, sweet potato casserole, rolls, dressing, after dinner Mai Tai’s…..etc…..etc) for the ONE meal. I then sent most of the leftovers home with others and told myself the “unhealthy” leftovers were off limits (easier said than done, but I only caved once when I went into the kitchen late at night and somehow tripped and fell into a piece of pumpkin pie). For the most part, I was back eating right by the next day. This strategy worked so well that I plan to use it for Christmas Eve, Christmas Day & New Year’s Eve (3 holiday’s = 3 meals, not 12!).


2) Exercised more. Thanksgiving morning I was at the gym doing a hard core boot camp and the day after Thanksgiving I did a 2 hour “turkey burn” (cycle class). I only went up one pound during the days surrounding Thanksgiving & I was back to my original weight 3 days after my big meal. I know the extra exercise helped.

 

3) Remembered. Remembered what exactly? Well, I remembered why I was trying to lose weight in the first place (my health, confidence, appearance). I  remembered how good being skinny feels (and trust me, there is no greater high than looking in the mirror and LOVING what you see). I  also remembered to stay focused (I suffer from weight loss induced ADD. I often wander off the weight loss path faster than you can say “cheez its”). Most importantly I remembered how I looked and felt 52 pounds ago. Nothing, and I mean NOTHING will ever make me go back to being that person.



Hopefully these tips will help you during this time of food & festivities. I still have 25-39 pounds to lose. I plan to trudge through THE HOLIDAYS and then focus everything I have into losing the rest of the weight so I will look fabulous for summer. In January I will post new before and after pictures along with a look at what a difference 50 pounds makes! Till then try hard to keep the spirit of Christmas in your heart (not on your ass!)

Yummy Thanksgiving picture was obtained from Hornblower Holidays.   Funny scale picture was obtained from NJweightdoctor.com.  Workout picture was obtained from a really cool site called "I need motivation" which has a lot of great workout tips. Check it out here.

14 comments:

MB said...

Love this post. That is great advice to get through the holidays without gaining. I'm going to do my best to keep the spirit of Christmas in my heart and not on my ass. ;)

Merry Merry!

Shelly's Stuff Jewelry said...

Congratulations on breaking your plateau! I know how frustrating that can be to work so hard and do everything right and not see the scale move (or move in the wrong direction). I think I'm going to try the Bruschette Chicken Bake this weekend! Have a great holiday!

X.I.R said...

Ha ha MB, thanks for commenting! Glad to know my advice could help someone fight the Christmas Pudge!

X.I.R said...

Shelly's stuff jewelry, Thanks for the congrats! It was so frustrating but hopefully I am now past it! The Bruschette Chicken Bake is soooo good and so easy. Hope you enjoy it!

Diane Corriette said...

Great post - I will need to be more focused in this way so its great to read how you dealt with the holidays this year

X.I.R said...

Hi Diane! Staying focused is hard for me too. I think every time you "fall off the wagon" you just have to get right back on! Good luck to you with your weight loss efforts!

Queen Pig Girl said...

Hilarious! Love your blog too! The Queen Pig Girl

Stephanie said...

Great post - congratulations on creating a plan and sticking to it.
BODA weight loss

X.I.R said...

Queen Pig Girl and Stephanie,

Thanks for reading my blog and for commenting!

Davon Jacobson, Md said...

Even as a medical doctor, I must admit that the holdays are really hard when sticking to weight loss plans. One thing I tell my patients is to take a small break and start again after everything is over. Keep up the great work with your health and please stop by my blog sometime. The web address is http://healthy-nutrition-facts.blogspot.com/.

Kathy Garolsky said...

Interesting post you got here.Thanks for sharing this great info..keep it up..

mutuelle swiss life said...

nice post, thank you

Natural deodorant said...

Hi...

Nice blog you have done great effort to putting a lot of knowledge.
Thanks

Faisal Shah said...

Hello

Great information.....

Dockland