Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

I'm Overweight, isn't that Great?!

Being overweight is wonderful, I feel grand! No... I did not take a hit to the head and basically I still have all (or at least most) of my marbles. Let me explain why I feel this way. Last Sunday I got on my Wii Fit to weigh like I always do. As the little ticker line ran up the BMI scale I waited for the usual "That's obese" announcement. Imagine my surprise when the bouncy little scale (see pic) instead declared in a chirpy voice "That's overweight". My mouth literally dropped open. Overweight? Well dang! Overweight?! Seriously? Why thats almost like calling me sexy (well at least it is to someone who has been "obese" for years!). Overweight can mean so many things. Heck, I have seen skinny people call themselves "overweight" (even though I could literally hang my purse on their protruding collarbone). Obese, however, usually only means one thing: Rotund. Maybe I am overanalyzing this, but all I know is: I'm proud to officially be overweight!



I slipped into the overweight category because I have lost 7 more pounds since I last posted. That makes a total of 42 pounds! I set a new goal for myself around the middle of August. I decided I would lose 20 more pounds by my birthday in December. That is only 5 pounds per month. Since setting that goal I have lost a little over 7 pounds! That means I only have 12.4 pounds left to lose by December. Hopefully, if things still are going this well, I will be able to exceed that and lose even more. The weight seems to be coming off much more quickly. This is probably because I have decided that hunger is my friend. Yes, you can lose weight and NEVER feel hungry. But in my experience it will take you a lot longer than if you allow yourself to feel that occasional "empty" feeling. 


Before I became fully (and by fully, I mean obsessively) dedicated to my weight loss I could NOT allow myself to eat small meals, skip meals or snacks, only eat light for supper, etc. Feeling hungry or unsatisfied always seemed to make me overeat. Now, however, I finally want to be skinny more than I want the food. That means I sometimes only eat 2 meals a day, eat a protein bar instead of a meal or just eat high fiber cereal for supper. Not all the time mind you, but sometimes. I can now sit and watch someone else eat dessert without even wanting a bite. That is not to say I don't occasionally eat what I want. I do. But I always compensate for it by exercising more or eating less the next meal and/or day. Weight loss is a mind set and it has taken me almost 8 months to reach this stage. If you are struggling with weight loss, keep trying! With persistence it will get easier! 



You may have guessed by now that I am a sucker for weight loss tools. You may remember me paying around $250 for a GoWear Fit (See earlier post). I have spent quite a bit on exercise and/or fitness (gym membership, treadmill, exercise ball, resistance bands, hand weights and my GoWear Fit) but I still use them all religiously (well... except the exercise ball. Not sure why but my fat arse kept rolling off and landing on the floor). Anyway, I recently saw the Shape Up shoes by Sketchers (when I was speed walking the mall... yes, I am one of those kooky mall walkers). I researched the shoes and read reviews. These shoes are suppose to promote weight loss, strengthen the back, firm calf and buttock muscles, reduce cellulite and tone your thighs, increase cardiovascular health, improve posture and reduce stress on knee/ankle joints. Basically your whole damn life will improve if you just buy these shoes. 


So I did. They cost me a whopping $110 (w/tax) and had to be shipped to me since I have sasquatch feet and they didn't carry my size in the store. They kinda look dorky but so does having a fat ass. I was really excited about the possibility to tone while walking since I am on my feet a lot during the day. I have had these shoes for 3 days now. I am so sore! The shoe was designed to simulate walking on sand (you know how that wears you out!). Therefore, you are only suppose to wear them for 20-45 minutes and build up to all day wear overtime. Whatever! I am on a mission to get this fat off my ass so I have worn them for most of the last 3 days. My calves, butt and thighs ache! Hopefully that means something is shrinking under all that dimpled skin! To early to tell, but I will keep you posted on my progress with these platform shoes. I will let you know if they do anything besides deplete my bank account. Next week (ok... next TIME... whenever that will be....) I am going to post about more goals, my ongoing beautification process, more milestones, more weight loss tips and of course update how the shape up shoes are working out. Till then dream about Twinkies but don't eat them!

Wii Fit scale picture was obtained from here. Sketchers Shape Up shoe picture was obtained here. Gift picture came from this blog.


14 comments:

Joy White said...

Way to go!!! I am a fellow fatty too - my highest weight was 228. You can do this! I now weigh 139 and have 11 pounds to go to reach my goal of 128. I have been thinking about those shoes - you might have just pushed me into the must have mode :) keep up the great work!!!

demandablog said...

I have been wondering about those shoes! Maybe I'll have to ask for them for christmas or something.

I'm adding your blog. :) I've been writing about weight loss, too! Reading your posts is inspiring.

X.I.R said...

Hey Joy! A fellow fatty....thats pretty good.... Thanks for the encouragement. It is great to hear about your success! I really like the shoes so far, my legs ache all the time (which for me is a good thing)! Will have to watch and see if it does all it promises. I will keep everyone posted. Thanks for commenting!

X.I.R said...

demandablog, thanks for commenting on my blog. I really thought about the shoes for a while before purchasing. I am glad I bought them and wear them to work everyday. My legs are usually aching by the end of the day which hopefully means something is shrinking! Thanks for adding me!

zoobalu said...

Wow! Keep up the good work. My mother has struggled with being overweight all her life, but she has yet to reach that "ah ha" moment that you have reached. I wish you all the best in reaching her December goal. I think the most important thing is changing your thinking and you are there. Yahoo!

Dyche Designs said...

It sounds like you're doing great, way to go. Keep up the good work. :0)

Sheryl Karas said...

Good work! And nice blog, too!

X.I.R said...

Thanks Zoobalu! I too have struggled on and off all my life but have finally reached the point where I no longer want to be ruled by my weight. I hope your mom finds her "ah ha" moment. It will change your life! Thanks for commenting!

X.I.R said...

Dyche Designs and Sheryl Karas, thank you both so much for commenting and for the encouraging words!

Susan said...

A weight loss of 42lbs is pretty darn impressive - congrats!! With that said, don't give up on the exercise ball! It's a GREAT tool for core workouts.

Rex Harris said...

"Feeling hungry or unsatisfied always seemed to make me overeat."

This is the worst feeling in the world, I can totally relate. You try so hard but you the cravings become a nightmare. Then I started adding more fiber to my diet and that made a huge difference. I know there are several schools of thought on counting calories, but I've found that I can incorporate a few things that keep me feeling full, stay within my target calorie levels for the day and still strip off the pounds. Great post, thanks for sharing!

X.I.R said...

Susan, Thanks! That darn exercise ball... I can stay on the ones at the gym (probably cause they are bigger) but the one I bought wears me out. I will keep trying... :)

Rex, I too try to eat a lot of fiber. It is definitely a balancing act..... finding satisfying food, staying within a certain calorie range and exercising enough! exhausting but worth it! Thanks for commenting!

Psychic said...

Hmm Well I was just searching on Google for some psychic readings and psychic

articles and just came across your blog, generally I just only visit blogs and retrieve my

required information but this time the useful information that you posted in this post

compelled me to reply here and appreciate your good work. I just bookmarked your

blog.

Psychic said...

Hmm Well I was just searching on Google for some psychic readings and psychic articles and just came across your blog, generally I just only visit blogs and retrieve my required information but this time the useful information that you posted in this post compelled me to reply here and appreciate your good work. I just bookmarked your blog.